Sunday, January 3, 2010

From the New World

Perhaps I'm being a little bit too dramatic in comparing my move to the apartment to Dvorak's famous symphony? Nah, not really. It's my first venture out into the real world, and so far, I approve greatly.

What follows is a photo tour of Apt. 1-D. Captions will be below the photo they represent.



Here's the entrance area of my apartment, which also doubles as the dining room.


Help! My apartment has a kitchen and I don't know what to do! Well, okay, I'm getting a little better at it, though there is still plenty of frozen pizza to go around.


The kitchen, dining area, living room and my "office" are all in one large room upon entering my apartment, sorta like the common room of a college dorm. Only difference is I don't have to share it all with anyone. Here you can see the half-wall that separates kitchen from living room, as well as my TV and appliance table.


The view from the living room out into my "office". I spend a lot of time at the desk on the right. I don't spend nearly enough time at the desk on the left. (Oh, and please ignore the fact that my couch is straight out of the 70s. Remember, I'm a poor grad student.)


Another view out from the living room, this time including the dining area and the awesome chair that matches nothing. (Refer to the above comment about the 70s and poor grad students.)


A view of my desks from the apartment door. The dark area in the back there through the threshold will be explored after one more picture from my common room.


One more view of the living room, which was first seen in yesterday's picture. The only difference is that we've replaced Sarah with an air conditioner. Worst trade ever.


Bathroom, complete with wooden duck atop the toilet's water tank.


Walk-in closet in the hallway between common area and bedroom. It's the second most impressive walk-in closet in my apartment.


This one's in my bedroom. For those who don't know me that well, yes, this is completely normal and not at all over-the-top for me.


My wonderfully comfortable bed, complete with bed frame that wasn't here for the first two months of living here. (Yes, my nightstand is supported by milk crates. I believe I mentioned I'm a poor grad student?) These two and the TV stand are the only pieces of furniture in the apartment that I purchased prior to moving in -- everything else is hand-me-down. I honestly think everything looks a lot better than that sounds.


And finally, the dresser on which my stereo sleeps. If you thought the walk-in was meticulously organized, you should see the contents of the dresser. There are three drawers for socks alone.


And thus concludes our first tour of the apartment. I admit, I'm fairly minimalist in terms of decoration. It's a mixture of not having enough time when I first moved in (four days between move-in and the start of the semester) and not being sure how long I'm staying here. My lease is for a month year, and whether I stay here past next August depends on where I end up working next school year, so I haven't been very inspired to decorate the place just to have to tear down in a few months. We'll see how that plays out once the job hunt begins.

4 comments:

  1. Your pics will be better when you actually host a shin-dig for your MSU friends! I said I'll cook =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Mike. Congrats on your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just need some wall art. That's what makes places look less empty. I think it needs gold, green and orange psychedelic posters.

    ReplyDelete